Tuesday, May 15, 2007

False Paska Modesty


I know easter has come and gone, but something really struck me about the easter season and I just can't shake it. It all started when Mama V stopped in to drop off some paska buns. 'Wow!' I said, "pretty ambitious, making paska buns, hey?". "Yeah," she said non-chalantly, " They didn't really turn out, just throw them out if you don't like them." As soon as she left I made myself a cup of tea and sat down to enjoy a paska bun slathered in icing and sprinkles. "mmmmm," I thought to myself, " these paska buns are pretty rockin'. She made it sound like they'd taste as good as a bowling ball." Mama V, just admit it, you make some pretty mean paska.


That's not where my story ends. I was at my mom's one thursday afternoon before the big easter weekend. She had 'just whipped up' some paska buns, as she put it. "Wow, mom!" I said, "paska buns, hey? That's pretty ambitious." "Yeah," she shrugged, "they're not that great. They didn't really turn out." They looked just dandy to me. I was up for a taste test. So I got the paska bun ready for consumption. I spread some icing on it and sprinkled some sprinkles on top. One bite and I was in paska heaven. "Mom, these are awesome!" I said. "Really?" my mom said like she was in some serious denial. Mom, just admit it, your paska buns rock.


Sorry folks, that's not where this story ends. I was at Elf Hamm's house the week before Easter and low and behold, she served some paska bread. Everyone was oooing and aaahing over this paska bread and going for seconds (and thirds). "Elf! This paska bread is soooo good," I said. "Really?" she asked, " I thought it turned out a little on the heavy side." Oh please. Elf, seriously...this was some seriously rockin' paska. But then, I found myself telling someone about the time I had made paska. "oh, I had made some paska buns last year, but they didn't turn out that great. They were a little on the heavy side."


I'm hoping I've shed a little light on this terrible thing I like to call 'false paska modesty'. We women need to be able to say that our paska is good.....that it is enjoyable. The paska I made last year was good, all right? Dang good. Yeah, It pretty much rocked. There, I said it. And you can too.






2 comments:

Crystal said...

You bet your @$$ they were good. We burnt some of the bottoms, as you may remember but they ROCKED!

Cheryl said...

Funny funny funny. So true. We woman need to start tooting our own horns a little more often. Good Blog Lisa. Glad to see you're back in the game!!!